- Leaders are not there to be liked by the children nor to be their friend.
- Leaders are to lead calmly.
- Leaders should not physically discipline any child (no corporal punishment).
- Leaders must not show favouritism.
Prevention Is Better
- Ensure instructions are clear and age appropriate.
- Ensure expectations are clear and age appropriate.
- Ensure lessons are organised, engaging and age appropriate.
The Big Picture
- Any words spoken to a child should be clear and calm, avoid shouting or raised pitch.
- Keep it simple - one rule: respect (respect God, respect people, respect property).
- Never send a child to sit with parents in church as a ‘punishment’.
- Kids Ministry Director is the person who talks to parents about a child’s behaviour.
- Redirect a child’s attention when upset or frustrated (esp. younger child).
- Offer a choice (join in game or sit and watch game).
- Warn once, if behaviour persists act:
- Option #1 remove the equipment from the child
- Option #2 remove the child from the activity (e.g. sit out for three minutes)
- Option #3 remove the privilege of a future activity (miss out next game, be last to)
- If tantrums occur, move furniture/equipment/other children to avoid harm to the child and/or others. Don’t talk to the child during the tantrum. Keep an eye on them (for safety reasons). Ignore behaviour until tantrum subsides.
- Consistent appropriate consequence (for school age):
- Minor behaviour = minor consequence
- Behaviour: whispering to child beside them
- Action: Leader stops and looks at child, when behaviour stops, continue.
- Medium behaviour = medium consequence
- Behaviour: constantly calling out or disrupting activity in small group
- Action: sit child outside group, invite to rejoin after 3-5 minutes, if persists, send to another group for 3-5 mins. encourage apologise before returning
- Major behaviour = major consequence
- Behaviour: violently attack another child or adult
- Action: removed from the group immediately, call Kids Ministry Director to contact parents, ask parents to take child home
- Always remember, Team Leaders and Kids Ministry Director are there to support.